In a time when parenting means positive reinforcements, many adults find themselves seeking a system of rewards that will not only entice good behaviors, but also teach their teens valuable lessons along the way. Guitar lessons fit this bill for a number of reasons.
First off, few teenagers can resist the allure of guitar lessons. Couple them in a reward system that involves not only lessons, but also a computer and they're very likely to take them quite seriously.
There's just something about the potential to become the next great player that makes the musically inclined do their part to earn the lessons they receive. Online guitar lessons are particularly ideal for teens that are new to the instrument and are not entirely sure it will be the one for them.
The benefits of online guitar lessons for teens include:
* Easy parental supervision. When guitar lessons are taken online or via computer programs, they are easy to supervise since the action takes place at home.
* Easy to follow. Many good programs are available that provide basic lessons for teens to take. These lessons are created in such a manner that they are easy to follow, even for beginners. Most programs start out very basic and offer not only instructions about the instrument, but also provide some music theory along the way.
* Ability to work at their own pace. Good guitar lessons online or in program form offer something face-to-face lessons do not - the ability to take the same lesson over and over again or move on when the need arises. There's no requirement to book another lesson when a program is doing the teaching.
* Pause ability. When something isn't understood in a guitar lesson, it's easy for the teen to stop the program and repeat the section over and over again until the lesson is learned. This can be much less frustrating for a teen who wants to learn right but who might be embarrassing by going slow in a group lesson.
* Easy to take away. Guitar lessons in computer form are a great tool to use as a reward, and they're also easy to take away if grades aren't where they should be or behaviors are undesired. Since no class has been "booked," there's no instructor to disappoint or class slot that might be lost. This gives parents the leverage they might need in trying to implement a system of rewards and punishments.
* Increased concentration. Music instruction in any format is known for helping those who take part increase their ability to concentrate and reason through problems. Music has also been known to help increase math skills and generally is thought to provide other extra benefits, as well.
Guitar lessons can be a great tool for parents to use in creating a system of rewards for positive behavior. Filling a desire many teens have, these lessons also provide some side benefits teens themselves might not be aware of.
With benefits that can even impact school work and translate to other areas of life, as well, guitar lessons or music instruction in general is a smart choice for parents to endorse.
Before you know it Prom will be here for your teenager. This is one of the few opportunities they get to get really dressed up in formalwear and have a real date. Girls in particular have been thinking about this since they were little and have the idea of the perfect date and going out for dinner and dancing firmly implanted in their minds. When I was that age even though the prom was a big deal, we didn't spend anywhere close to what kids these days are spending on prom night. These days both boys and girls alike are spending hundreds of dollars on their special evenings.
As far as dresses go, Prom dresses are being bought and worn of all different types of styles and colors with some girls going for the longer more traditional look and some of the more daring ones going for the shorter dresses. Regardless of the style or color they choose they all realize that the right shoes are a critical part of their Prom wear. Knowing that they will probably be dancing quite a bit, all prom goers should be concerned with comfort. It will be tough to smile and dance the night away if your shoes are causing you to get blisters or just making your feet ache. Be sure that the shoes you choose are comfortable to walk in and dance in. Don't think that you will just take them off and dance barefoot, you can end up stepping in something gross on the floor or possibly even cut your foot on broken glass.
If you are wearing a short dress you may want to think about getting a nice strapped sandal that looks young and stylish. To compliment an elegant long dress you can wear short heels or as some choose a ballet slipper. Stay with a look that is feminine regardless of what you choose. Take the time to look at many different styles and colors so that you have the best possible combination you can.
Now on to the guys, the majority of who will wear a tux to the Prom just like I did well over 20 years ago. Okay, closer to thirty years ago but never mind that! Some of the guys will go with the traditional cummerbund and bowtie and others may opt for a different look. A lot of teenage boys will just go with the shoes that come with their rented tuxedo because they just don't care whether they have the latest fashion or not. Still, you need to take the style of your date's dress into consideration and attempt to coordinate your style with hers. Of course you don't have to match exactly but your outfits should compliment each other.
While some individuals pay no mind to seeing a teenager behind the wheel of a car, there are others who cringe at the site. As soon as they see the words "Student Driver" plastered on the car, they envision one more hazard on the road. This could be considered a type of stereotyping, but there is a reason in which these people feel this way. They have probably seen in the media and even in person a multiple vehicle accident caused by a teenage driver or an accident a teenager driver got into on their own.
However, there are also statistics that support the fact that teenage drivers tend to see more wrecks than older drivers and this usually has to do with the amount of experience of the driver. Then again, there are things nowadays that are distracting teenage drivers that used to not even exist. Amongst those things are cell phones. With cell phones teenagers are not only talking, but they are text messaging while driving. Yes, there are adults that do this as well, but the results can be devastating when mixing this type of activity with inexperience.
Boys VS Girls
Many insurance companies will have a higher premium for teenage male drivers than teenage girls. This is because the boys are more likely to take risks than the girls. Nevertheless, teenage drivers as a whole take more risks than they do their adult counterparts. It is simply in their nature and has caused some to question whether or not teenagers should be permitted to drive.
As an answer to the debates regarding when a teenager should and should not drive, various states have put rules into force that have either increased the legal driving age or required more criteria to be fulfilled before granting a driver's license. Of course, this goes for both the males and the females regardless of their degree of risk. The last thing that anyone wants to see is another young promising life killed in another terrible car accident.
Does this make them bad drivers?
Technically, none of this makes young people bad drivers. There are some exceptional young drivers on the road. This gives great reason for them not to be stereotyped just because they are you. Yes, the insurance premiums may be higher due to what the statistics tell the insurance companies, but there are some very competent young drivers on the road today.
One of the things that should be taken into consideration is the fact that they have recently completed driver education. Everything is fresh in their mind in regards to traffic rules that most adults forget over time. They have practiced their driving skills with a licensed instructor; therefore these teenage drivers can be the most competent drivers on the road.
When they first hit the road, they are not displaying the sloppy driving habits that they will possibly make when they get older. It is true that they are inexperienced, but the truth of the matter is the fact that the accidents we hear about tend to be the select few. What the media reports makes us feel that teenage drivers do not have an ounce of competency within their systems.
Even if the wreck is not their fault, the moment the word, "teen" comes out of the reporter's mouth, it is automatically assumed that they were at fault. Yes, it does happen, and yes, teenagers are known for risk. There have been measures put into place that allow them to hone their driving skills better than ever, but, unfortunately, the bad reputation has been there for a very long time. Just keep in mind that not every teenage driver is a bad driver and not every adult is a good driver.
Are you interested in getting closer to nature? Do you like walking and sleeping under the stars - or under canvas at least? If you do, then a walking or hiking and camping holiday may be just the thing for you. A hiking and camping holiday will get you out in the fresh air, permit you to observe nature first hand and cost you very little to boot. In short, hiking and camping are the ideal blend, if you are looking for a healthy, low-cost break outdoors.
Not only that but you can either go alone with a couple of good books, take a lover, take a friend or take the family with you. All in all, you have many alternatives available to you if you want to trek off into the wild blue yonder on foot.
There are a few of ways of tackling a vacation of this sort. You can either book into a hiking and camping site or you can literally simply head off. If you have children with you then the camping site is a necessity, but otherwise the decision is yours, although it has to be kept in mind, that camping off site is or can be illegal. Trespass is absolutely illegal as is causing a nuisance of yourself, putting wild animals under stress for no good reason, damaging trees or property and littering.
So, if you are new to hiking and camping, you will probably be better off going to a hiking and camping site or park. Do not be put off by this thought, some of them are truly immense. Check out the Poconos and other national parks for instance.
There is no doubt that price is a factor in the choice of a camping holiday for many young people, but it is hardly ever the sole reason why people like to get away and sleep under the stars. Going back to nature and bird- and animal-watching are other common reasons.
If you fancy this sort of holiday, it is worth remembering that hiking and camping have become extremely popular pastimes of late. They always were well-liked, it is true, but they waned in the Eighties and Nineties, and are seeing a resurgence now. Therefore, do your homework, see where you would like to go, get some brochures or look on line and book up early. Yes, nowadays you have to book up early to get into the best hiking and camping sites again.
A final note of warning, if you decide to go off into the wilderness outside a park, let people know where you are. Take your mobile phone and a couple of fully-charged extra batteries and say when you are going to phone in that you are safe and make certain that you abide by it. It is very expensive if Air-Sea Rescue are called out on unnecessarily.
Copyright (c) 2013 www.acnepimplehelp.com
Studies show that teenage boys are more susceptible to developing severe forms of acne. This is also called juvenile acne and it is related to hormonal changes that happen in the body during puberty. The androgen hormones affect the hair follicle. When the hair follicle shrinks due to the effect of testosterone, the sebum gets trapped inside the skin glands and produces different forms of blemishes. The reason that teenage boys get more cystic acne than girls is that their androgen levels spike during puberty.
What measures can teenagers take to prevent and cure acne?
1. Wash your face only two times per day with a soapless soap from the pharmacy, or with a sulfur soap. Seek a dermatologist's advice and ask him or her to recommend one product for external use.
2. Drink 2-3 cups of green tea per day in order to get enough anti-oxidants and to get rid of toxins. Make sure that constipation is not an issue by drinking enough water.
3. Don't use a razor blade everyday as it can irritate your active acne and produce more scarring. Use an electric shaver instead and clean it after each use.
4. Go for sauna once a week if possible. It will help eliminate toxins faster and clear the skin.
5. Go for any type of martial arts. It will help stabilize the internal energy flow, which will also stabilize hormones.
6. Never pop pimples, and never touch your face with dirty hands.
Hormonal changes also happen in girls, but estrogen and progesterone levels are much higher than testosterone levels. Women that suffer from polycystic ovaries syndrome or PCOS usually have abnormal levels of testosterone.Dermatologists have also noticed an increased number of adult women are starting to get acne breakouts. Studies have shown that 50% of women older than 20 years of age are suffering from some form of acne. This is partially due to hormones, but it also has other underlying causes.
Causes of adult acne among women can include the following.
1. Hormonal fluctuations - Acne can be triggered by hormonal fluctuations that can happen due to various reasons. As women grow older, their hormone levels change. During perimenopause and menopause, testosterone levels start to rapidly increase. This is why many women over 40 that have never had acne, suddenly start to experience breakouts. But testosterone can also be high due to other reasons such as stress, unbalanced emotions, unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, medications, birth control pill. A good way to balance hormones is to regularly drink teas made from plants that promote the natural production of estrogen and progesterone, such as liquorice root, vitex agnus castus, lady's mantle, yarrow, dill, sage, or primrose.
2. Emotional and mental stress - It is a known fact that stress hormones can lead to an increase of androgen hormones. Higher levels of stress hormones can also lead to other imbalances, including hyperthyroidism. Getting rid of acne will first require that you get rid of stress. The immune function is also greatly diminished during stressful periods, and this can definitely lead to more bacterial infections. A form of exercise 2-3 times per week, including martial arts or tai chi, can definitely help you cope better in stressful situations. Diet is also very important, as studies show that toxins can disturb our mental and emotional functions. Drinking valerian tea or taking valerian tablets once or twice a day can also be a good way of reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
3. Make-up and cosmetic products - Women use much more cosmetic products than men do. Unfortunately, most products don't rise up to the expectation, and can end up giving you worse skin than before. Many make-up and cosmetic products are advertised as non-comedogenic. That means that they don't trigger acne breakouts. Firstly, no product can guarantee that, as many acne conditions are triggered by different factors. These products sometimes contain almost 20-30 chemicals, so it's no wonder that a person's skin can react to at least one of these ingredients. Lastly, our skin is not supposed to be covered by anything, including organic products. Our sebum needs to reach the surface and keep the skin moisturized. Blocking sebum production can only lead to more acne breakouts in the future.Whether you are a teenager or an adult, don't be tempted to be too aggressive in trying to get rid of acne. Your skin needs time to heal from inside. Applying many products on the outside is not going to solve the internal problem. Also, it could lead to other health issues that can make acne seem like nothing. Accutane, a popular cystic acne treatment can lead to mental problems, liver failure, and even suicide. Talk to your dermatologist and choose only one product to apply to your acne for at least a month. In the meantime, it is important to change your lifestyle and keep a positive outlook on life.
It has to be said that the youth of today are unlike any other generation that has gone before them. They are physically growing at a pace never before seen and the average teen is head and shoulders above what they were thirty years ago. They are also developing and reaching into puberty much earlier than previous generations. However, while most of them look like adults by the age of thirteen, this doesn't give them the mental maturity to deal with all this throws at them.
Facilities for young people are not what they used to be and undue restrictions are imposed so that normal development is difficult. For many of us, growing up was a huge learning curve of excitement mixed with disappointment, scrapes and bruises healed with smelly iodine and back chat that was greeted with a back hander from an adult. I, for one, have to say this did us no harm.
Today's youth are growing up in a world that is so compensation crazy that their learning curves are straightened into soft, fluffy, cushiony pathways where people speak gently and soothingly and they have no adversity to learn any lessons by. At the end of that pathway, they are launched full pelt into an adulthood that in no way resembles their earlier years. And all this is our own doing so is it any wonder they struggle like they do?
Perhaps we would do well to give the youth of today some credit and maybe a helping hand that doesn't 'do it all for them' but helps them find the right path through life to become reasonable, responsible adults? This is possible in various ways.
Firstly, as their guides, we have their education in our hands. Some parents push their children into going away to university or college and other children willing go. Whichever way they end up there, it is damn hard work and despite all the stories of partying they still have lonely moments, thrust into the world of coping by themselves and working towards their degrees and their futures.
In France, there is a shortage of accommodation for students and this is the first struggle they have when leaving home to further their education. To this end, the government are lending them, and investors, a helping hand with the French leaseback scheme. Among other types of accommodation, the French leaseback scheme helps people invest in a property that will house one or more students throughout the duration of their education.
Providing the accommodation consists of certain facilities such as laundry and reception facilities, a property can be purchased under the French leaseback scheme in such a way that all the tax can be claimed back on the purchase price and also the accounts can be dealt with in such a way that all income can be offset and the rental income has much greater potential than a simple buy to let scheme.
With this in mind anyone, French or otherwise, who has the means, can purchase a property that can be let out to students and earn themselves a respectable income without actually having to live in the country. Management rates are reasonable so looking after the property is not an issue. Tax can be recouped and an income is secured.
This is one good way where we can support the youth of today and actually show them some backing. The French leaseback scheme is one that other countries Government's would do well to take on board. When young people leave home and take on the world as well as doing what they can to boost their education, ensuring there is a safe home for them during that time is a good start for them.